Thursday, June 7, 2012

Dr. Oz, Please Take Note: Routine Usage of Aspirin Can Be Dangerous

On a number of recent Dr. Oz shows, the 'good' doctor recommended the routine usage of 2 baby aspirins. He has recommended it to lower blood pressure, to help with pain at night, improve circulation, etc. In fact, here's a couple of direct quotes from his website.

"Take 2 baby aspirin every night before bed. Make sure to drink a large glass of water. Baby aspirin will help prevent inflammation which increases your risk for heart disease. Aspirin keeps blood platelets from clumping and clotting."

Here's another quote from the website:

"Take 2 baby aspirin a day to help circulation"

It turns out, big surprise, that his advice may be inappropriate. Unquestionably some people at increased risk for heart disease, such as those with a strong family history of it, elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol may be candidates for baby aspirin, but it is highly dangerous and improper to recommend routine usage.

Why you may ask?  In a large population-based cohort of primary-prevention patients, the use of aspirin was associated with an increased risk of major gastrointestinal bleeding and cerebral bleeding episodes, and this increased rate of bleeding is higher than previously reported in other randomized, prospective clinical trials. So even ignoring this study, aspirin as a major cause of bleeding is well established. In fact, bleeding secondary to aspirin is one of the four top reasons for emergency room
visits in seniors.

 

The study cited above, which was published in the June 6, 2012 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, showed that aspirin was associated with a 55% relative increase in the risk of major bleeding, a number that translates to two excess bleeding events for every 1000 patients treated annually. This bleeding rate is roughly equal to the number of major cardiovascular events avoided by the use of aspirin for primary prevention for patients with a 10-year risk in the range of 10% to 20%.  In other words, at this risk range, the risks are equal to the benefit, and below that risk range, the risks outweigh the benefits. You must speak with your doctor to properly qualify and quantify your risk. That is why it is imprudent for Dr. Oz to make such recommendations in a vacuum of knowing to whom he is speaking.

The conclusion of the study: "Elderly patients, patients with a history of major bleeding, or patients taking other drugs that can increase the risk of bleeding are probably not candidates for primary prevention with aspirin."

The take-away here is that advice dispensed by Dr. Oz should be dutifully ignored because no one should be acting on (and no doctor should be giving) specific medical advice delivered over the TV or radio. First the advice giver does not know your personal situation and second, you should not follow such generic advice without first consulting your physician.

 MDPrevent

3 comments:

  1. I would just like to thank you for taking the time to write this blog. I find your articles very interesting. I happened to stumble upon this site because I wanted to know if Dr.Oz was credible or not. I think he is a quack, but it was really to show my mother that she needs to be careful when it comes to following his advice. She idolizes him and it scares me. I care about her health and I don't want her hurting herself. Hopefully I can convince her not to watch the show. I've read one of your articles to her already to plant that seed of doubt. Anyway, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for hs great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email;dr.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Ehimare a herbal practitioner who helped cured me from HSV (2). I have suffered from this disease for the past 5 years and I have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr Ehimare sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 3 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested free from HSV. All thanks to God for leading me to Dr Ehimare who was able to cure me completely from this deadly disease. I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Ehimare   because I got to know him through Elizabeth who he cured from HIV. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance or silence and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr Ehimare   through his email  drehimare3@gmail.com or whatsapp on +1 (267) 691-1087   He cure all forms of disease {1}HIV/AIDS {2}DIABETES {3}EPILEPSY {4} BLOOD CANCER {5} HPV {6} BRAIN TUMOR {7} HEPATITIS {8}COPD{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA.etc Be kind enough to share as you received.  

    ReplyDelete